A car museum that fuels up their fleet to drive – not just put on display.
Located near LAX, right down the road from the former Nash automobile factory (1916-1954), the Automobile Driving Museum's collection of over 130 historic vehicles isn't the largest in California, but it's probably the most obscure.
On Sunday, July 26, join Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein on a ridealong adventure that puts you into the cars of a bygone era. Imagine climbing into a Packard owned by Joseph Stalin, or riding shotgun in a Plymouth Brewster Town Car once owned and operated by Eleanor Roosevelt. You could step back in time to 1955 with Howard Hughes' Packard Caribbean, and go back to the future in a 1982 DeLorean.
For our event, the museum will hand-pick three restored beauties from their stock to take out for a spin. Be they roadsters, speedsters, a coupe, or a horseless carriage, you can pick just one of them, or ride in all three. Your driver might even kick it in turbo and sound the horn for you. Ahooga!
During our hands-on visit, we'll also have plenty of time to tour the museum, accompanied by a volunteer car enthusiast who'll open doors and point out unique interior features, providing unprecedented access to automotive royalty.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- Sorry, only museum staff members are allowed to drive the vehicles.
- A portion of ticket sales will help the museum keep their cars on the road.
- Event may be rescheduled in case of inclement weather.
- Not all cars are on display at all times. Vehicles selected for the ridealongs are subject to change at any time.
- Family friendly! Children ages 10 and up are welcome to join.
- Have a classic car of your own? Drive it to the museum and show it off!
- Go Metro! The museum is a short walk from the Mariposa Green Line station.
- A liability waiver will need to be signed by all adults (including on behalf of minors). Not all vehicles are equipped with modern safety features like seatbelts and airbags.
Advance tickets only. All sales are final.