You've never tasted California wine like this.
Long gone are Southern California's defunct exotic animal attractions like Gay's Lion Farm, Jungleland USA, and Busch Gardens, but that doesn't mean that you can't encounter the wild and woolly anymore. In fact, there are zebras, camels, llamas, donkeys, bison, and a giraffe that roam the rolling hills of a 1000-acre vineyard and ranch just 30 minutes from LA!
And the Los Angeles Obscura Society is taking you there, on a wild wine adventure with Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein.
It's all thanks to entrepreneur Ron Semler, who bought the property now known as Saddlerock Ranch in a fire sale in the 1980s. It was literally burned to a crisp from a wildfire, but somehow he managed to reinvigorate the property to grow grapes for two different wine labels—Saddlerock and Semler Wines.
Discover the natural chaparral ecosystems of the Santa Monica Mountains as we stroll through a private estate with an intriguing history — and with a menagerie of wild animals, many of which were rescued from Hollywood after they got too old or too big for the silver screen.
To ensure the safety of all our attendees, we will provide discount codes for first-time riders of Uber and Lyft.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- Hike may be rescheduled in case of severe weather.
- Exact meeting location will be emailed to confirmed ticket holders a day or two before the event.
- All attendees must be at least age 21, regardless of consumption of alcohol.
- Please drink responsibly. Ask a non-drinking driver to pick you up, or use a ride-share service. (Discount codes provided to attendees.)
- Your ticket includes a walking tour of the vineyard and one flight of wine. Additional wine will be available for purchase. Bring some carrots to feed the zebras and horses!
- Walk is approximately 1.5 miles, followed by a sit-down wine tasting. You may stay at the tasting room as long as you like after we're finished!
- We will be outside, so please wear sun protection (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen) and be prepared for warm temperatures. You must wear closed-toed shoes for walking on uneven terrain (required!!).
- No smoking anywhere on the property.
- No pets allowed. Special advance accommodations must be made for any certified service animals.
- A signed liability waiver will be required to attend this event.
Advance Ticket Sales Only. No Refunds.