In Hollywood, even animals can live the dream of stardom.
You won't find Babe the pig, the Cadbury bunny, the MGM lion, or the dogs of Santa Paws on any of those star maps or celebrity-spotting tours of Hollywood—they're at Working Wildlife, a ranch in Los Padres National Forest, getting ready for their closeup.
Join Field Agent Sandi Hemmerlein as the Los Angeles Obscura Society visits the ranch for an exclusive private tour and demonstration by celebrated animal trainer Jeff Lee. This two-hour session is located up the scenic Grapevine, 90 miles north of Downtown Los Angeles—well worth the trip, just to get up close and personal with some of the residents of this celebrity compound. Our intimate, interactive meet and greet will also include a photo opp for each attendee.
We'll explore animals from six different continents, learn how they adapt and evolve to their various climates and habitats, and get a first-hand look at the positive reinforcement methods that the trainers use on the animals to prepare them for work in front of the camera. Celebrities we might encounter include famous pigs, parrots or any of the other 100+ movie stars from such films as Pirates of the Caribbean, Babe Pig in the City, and Bruce Almighty, plus numerous commercials, TV shows, and music videos. Working Wildlife has provided "animal actors" for projects ranging from Dances With Wolves to Grey's Anatomy to True Blood.
Note: Working Wildlife doesn't purchase their animals from breeders, and they don't breed the animals.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the LA Obscura Society newsletter and be the first to find out about upcoming events.
Notes for this adventure:
- Capacity is extremely limited.
- A great way to spend time with the dad in your life on Father's Day!
- A signed liability waiver is required from all attendees
- No children under the age of 12. All minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Photography is encouraged!
- Most of the big cats and other exotics are very experienced with visitors to their showcase compound, but we'll maintain a safe distance from anything at the top of the food chain. Other, smaller animals may approach or even touch you—but please keep your hands to yourself and don't pet them.
- Not all the animals like visitors or care to deal with humans, which makes them better performers than outreach ambassadors. Please be respectful and give them their space.
- Bring refillable water bottles and a snack. The bears like Rice Krispie Treats and cookies.
- Location is about 13 miles west of Frazier Park, CA. Allow two hours travel time from anywhere in the LA area.
- Event is at 5000 feet above sea level elevation and entirely outside, so prepare for cooler temperatures. Remember to wear sun protection.
- No smoking, no alcohol, and no pets of any sort.
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges