America's history is buried below the streets of downtown Philadelphia.
From October 4th through 6th, the Death Salon creeps into the Mütter Museum for their fifth ever deathly symposium. The Obscura Society Philly is honored to offer one of our trademark adventures in conjunction with Death Salon: Mütter Museum.
Join us for a walking tour through three historic downtown 18th century cemeteries - St. Peter's Episcopal Church Cemetery, Old Pine Church Graveyard and Christ Church Burial Ground. At every stop, we will meet with docents, historians and cemetery caretakers who will tell the tales of what lies six feet below.
Our schedule for the afternoon will be as follows:
12:00 PM - Meet at St. Peter's Episcopal Church
Opened in 1760, this cemetery is the final resting place for over one thousand Philadelphians, including navel heroes, a U.S. Vice-President, musicians and victims of a 1793 smallpox outbreak. It also features trees from seeds that were brought back to Philadelphia by Lewis and Clark
1:30 PM - Old Pine Church Graveyard
Burials began here in 1764 and represents the city's fight for American independence. Among those buried here are a signer of the U.S. Constitution, Continental Congress attendees and a ringer of the Liberty Bell.
3:15 PM - Christ Church Burial Ground
Mayors, military heroes, musicians, signers of the Declaration of Independence and, of course, Ben Franklin call this small plot of land in the middle of the city their final resting place.
Notes for this adventure:
- Please note the entirety of this walking tour will require over a mile of walking. Please wear sneakers and bring water. We MAY have time for a quick bathroom/refuel break between Old Pine and Christ Church.
- While this tour is geared towards Death Salon attendees, it is open to the public. So, even if you are not attending Death Salon, we still would love for you to join us!
- Part of the proceeds will be donated to all the churches and cemeteries we are visiting.
- More information and updated details will be sent out prior to October 4th to all signed-up attendees.
- ALL TICKET SALES ARE FINAL. Tickets will go fast due to the interest of Death Salon attendees, so please purchase early.
Any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact Matt Blitz at email@example.com.