There are many ways to explore Bishop Castle, but no tours...until now.
Jim Bishop is many things: castle builder, passionate, determined, creative. But perhaps, the most irrefutable would be relentless.
For nearly 60 years, he has been working on his masterpiece—a soaring castle in the mountains of Colorado, complete with a fire-breathing dragon, stained-glass cathedral, narrow winding staircases, and fantastic towers. From hand-digging 12-foot deep holes for the foundation to moving thousands of stones, he has done it single-handedly.
Jim's health is preventing him from doing much work on the castle these days, but we'll get a behind the scenes look at what it takes to construct your own castle from Jim's youngest daughter, Donita Bishop.
Scale the towers, soak in the view from the “hamster ball,” and learn the secrets of North America's largest castle.
After the tour, pose in our castle themed photo booth. We’ll have an assortment of props (from Rapunzel wigs to chainmail), you’re welcome to bring your own as well! All photos will be emailed out after the event.
There are two separate tours. Please sign up for only one.
- Event will run rain or shine.
- ADA: This venue is not accessible for all guests. Additionally, guests with dizziness, vertigo, or difficulty climbing narrow stairs should exercise extreme caution. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional accessibility information/questions.
- This event is kid friendly! Kids require close supervision from their parents/guardians.
- Bishop Castle is a whimsical work of art—please remain alert while exploring.
- Due to his health, we cannot guarantee that Jim Bishop will be on-site. But his daughter, Donita Bishop will tell us stories and answer questions.
- It is 10 to 20 degrees colder at the castle than it is in Denver. Bring layers!
- There are many stairs, ledges and slippery spots—closed-toe shoes with traction are recommended. All participants must sign a waiver.
- Parking adjacent to building.
Email James O'Neill at email@example.com.
Stay connected! Check out our other events; join our Facebook Group for discussions, photos, and likeminded adventurers; subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Denver newsletter for a first glimpse at upcoming events.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.