Cloud atlases, dew-points, psychrometers, oh my! As much as Washingtonians love to talk about the weather, few know how to predict it. Time to change that?
Join fellow weather geeks at Gravelly Point Park for a workshop and picnic with meteorologist Tom Di Liberto from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. You'll have the unique opportunity to handle cloud atlases, calibrate a sling psychrometer, and learn how to measure clouds by sight. Di Liberto will share stories of storm-chasing, unique D.C. weather events, and making tough storm-related flight cancellations calls. The workshop will also include an exercise using instruments to figure out the day’s dewpoint.
Bonus: You'll do all of this in the shadow of nearby Ronald Reagan National Airport, watching the planes soar overhead on their way to their destinations, with proper picnic sweet treats provided!
- We will meet on the path right near the Gravelly Point parking lot. Further information will be sent to attendees several days prior to the event.
- The event will also take place entirely outside. We recommend a hat and weather appropriate clothing, including comfortable shoes. Also, please stay hydrated and bring water!
- This event is somewhat accessible via public transportation, about a mile walk from the Ronald Reagan National Airport Metro station on the yellow line. As a reminder, all Metro stations south of National Airport will be closed until September 9th.
- For those who are driving, there's free on-site parking. However, the parking lot can get filled on nice weekend days, so plan accordingly.
- This event is family-friendly!
- We will be providing sweet treats during this event! You are also welcome to bring your own.
- Your Atlas Obscura Society D.C. field agent for this event will be Rosemary Grant.
Contact Matt Blitz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters and join our Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Facebook group to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.