Join Newtown Creek Alliance Historian Mitch Waxman for an exploration of an area we like to call DUKBO- Down Under the Kosciuszko Bridge Onramp - where the waste transfer and petroleum districts of North Brooklyn are found along the bulkheads of Newtown Creek.
This fascinating tour will take you through three miles of Greenpoint, crossing the heart of the Greenpoint Oil Spill and heading for the thrice damned Kosciuszko Bridge, which is scheduled for demolition and replacement starting shortly. Photographers in particular will find this an interesting trek across an industrial section of New York City.
Note: There's all kinds of "nasty" down in DUKBO. There's a reason Mitch calls this "The Poison Cauldron," so this tour is probably one you don't want to bring young kids on.
- Saturday, April 26, 11am - 2pm
- Tickets: $25
- Meetup is at the corner of Kingsland and Norman Avenues in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
- Be prepared for rough terrain and possible heavy truck traffic. Dress and pack appropriately for hiking and the weather. Closed-toe shoes are highly recommended.
- Bathroom opportunities will be found only at the start of the walk.
- Drivers are advised to leave their cars in the vicinity of McGolrick Park in Greenpoint.