Spend an afternoon visiting Bradbury's greatest muse—the town now known as Green Town.
Ray Bradbury is a towering legend in the world of science fiction and horror, a man among the greats of American literature. Whether his stories were set in futuristic dystopias, nightmarish carnivals, or abandoned Martian cities, in Bradbury’s mind they all happened in Green Town—the pseudonym he gave to Waukegan, Illinois— his hometown.
Come see Waukegan, Illinois, through the eyes of Ray Bradbury with the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago. You'll get a peek into the mind of the author as we are guided to places that toe the line between his life and his fiction. Walk the streets that both Ray and his characters walked, while seeing the places that molded the mind of one of the most creative authors of the last century.
After the walking tour Bradbury’s Waukegan, our group will be among the first to enter the building which will soon become the site of the Ray Bradbury Experience Museum. There, you will enjoy refreshments as you mingle among displays and sample a preview of what is to become a one-of-a-kind venue for fans of Bradbury.
For those who wish to dive deeper into the Bradbury experience, dress as your favorite character from the Bradbury canon—be it a Martian or Mr. Dark—you might win our costume contest!
- Check the weather, and wear shoes and clothes appropriate for walking outside! This event will have around an hour of walking including stairs and a ravine. Difficult portions of the walk can be skipped by participants.
- Refreshments are included with the price of your ticket.
- Meet outside of 13 N. Genesee St.
- Starting point is a 5-minute walk from the Waukegan stop on the Union Pacific North Metra line.
- This event is rain-or-shine.
Email Matt Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago newsletter