About 4.3 billion years ago, rocks as we know them cooled and settled creating the crust of our earth. Since this early, early stone settlement, rocks of all kinds have given us the gifts of shelter, fire, stunning landscapes, music, beautiful countertops, and in the last 50 or so years, sport!
Join us at Brooklyn Boulders, a climbing gym for dare devils and fitness buffs alike, for an exclusive inside look at rock samples from around the world. Geologist Jim Holstein from the Field Museum is bringing important stones out of the archives to tell us the history of Chicago's geology and what makes rocks a climber's paradise, or a dangerous challenge. Some notable rock samples include pieces from hot-spot climbing locations around the country like Devil’s Tower and, a more local climbing spot, Devil’s Lake. Come find out for yourself why rocks really rock!
But wait, there's more!
Want a chance to practice rock climbing yourself? Select our Climbing Package ticket option and you’ll have full access to Brooklyn Boulders facilities on the day of the event! The Climbing Package includes access to fitness equipment as well as free fitness or yoga classes offered that day. Harness and shoe rentals included in this ticket option.
- $20 Seminar Two hour geology seminar with Jim Holstein
- $35 Climbing Package Includes geology seminar and all day access to climbing gym (8am-10pm) including equipment rental
- If you select the Climbing Package ticket option, it is only valid for free rentals and gym access on February 3rd.
- All attendees must fill out this waiver. Please complete it online before arrival online to save time.
- Street parking is free on Sundays in the West Loop
- This event is suitable for attendees of all ages.
Email Kirby Barth at email@example.com.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago newsletter