Learn about the cityscape with Atlas Obscura and tour company Chicago Detours on this thrilling architectural and historical visual scavenger hunt.
From the cozy, indoor vantage of Apogee Lounge, a rooftop bar, you can identify a variety of buildings reflecting iconic building styles and eras. From River North you can spot a multitude of architectural delights, including itty-bitty 19th-century commercial storefronts, 1980s postmodern high rises, and the glistening new flagship McDonald’s (RIP Rock and Roll McDonald's). And you’ll be viewing everything from up on top the 26th floor!
Come with your own team of 3-4 people, or come ready to make friends on a team that we assemble. Working with your team, you'll decode a series of clues by searching the skyline for distinct buildings and landmarks within the visual landscape. The clues may address the architectural design, a surprising story or historic fact. A brief venture out onto the exterior rooftop terrace may help you spot more clues- bring your coat!
After the action-packed hunt, guests get a brief intermission to grab a cocktail and enjoy the spectacular surrounding views while final scores are tallied. During this time, the Detours team will share the untold stories and ideas behind the buildings from each clue in a 20-minute presentation before announcing the winning teams!
Because everyone is a winner, the bartender will be offering a Malort cocktail special for our event. During Happy Hour, 4 pm-7 pm, Apogee offers $4 beers and $7 for wine and seasonal cocktail.
First Place Prizes:
- $20 gift cards for each team member towards tours with Chicago Detours
- Atlas Obscura swag
- Vintage Chicago postcards
Second Place Prizes:
- Atypical skyline tote bags for each team member
- Artisan candy by Whimsical Candy
- Artistic architectural postcards
- This event will run rain, snow, or shine - it’s indoors!
- You can come to the rooftop bar anytime after it opens at 4pm. Coming early would also be to your advantage to start scanning the skyline and have time to grab a drink beforehand.
- Registration opens at 5:45pm and closes at 6:15pm. After a brief introduction and explanation of how the game works, the clues will be distributed to teams.
- Ticket includes visual scavenger hunt and prizes for winning teams.
- You must be 21+ to participate.
- Teams will be 3-4 people with one person equipped with smartphone with camera.
- Inside the Dana Hotel, check in w/ the host and they will escort you to the 26th floor to access Apogee.
- Drinks are on you.
Email Kirby Barth at email@example.com.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago newsletter