You don't have to audition to get this kind of screen time.
The Print Lab cranks out custom garments galore for rock bands, fashion brands, celebrities, athletes, and more. But you'd never know it, looking at its North Hollywood warehouse—which is adorned with cutting-edge street art and rescued artifacts around the exterior of the building.
Join Field Agent Benjamin Harmon as we tour this state-of-the-art, fully automated facility while it's in full swing. We'll get to walk through the entire process—from the initial design to screen burning, inking, and drying. Each attendee will receive their very own custom t-shirt, designed exclusively for the Atlas Obscura Society Los Angeles.
When you visit, you'll soon learn that this is no ordinary screen-printing shop; it's also somewhat of a "halfway house" for antiquated roadside relics, like neon signs and a car shaped like a shoe. Print Lab owner Tommy Gelinas is also the curator and founder of the Valley Relics Museum, a vast collection of historical ephemera from matchbooks and postcards to vintage neon signs and cars. Since the museum has been at capacity for some time and is now in the midst of changing locations, his newest acquisitions often end up at the Print Lab for safe storage.
You never know what Valley treasures you might find hiding out at the Print Lab!
- Occurs on a weekday morning, specifically a Thursday.
- We must start on time as we have a "hard stop" at noon.
- Limited free parking on the street or along the side of the building. Carpool if you can!
- Bring your cameras—photography encouraged!
- We will be entering an active manufacturing facility with working machinery, wet inks, and lots of sounds and smells. Please wear close-toed shoes. Leave all bulky bags and other items at home or in your car, and keep your hands to yourself! Earplugs may come in handy.
- Be prepared for two hours of standing and walking (though we're not traveling any great distances).
- All attendees will receive a custom-printed t-shirt (a $25 value, included in your ticket price). You will be asked to provide your shirt size upon ticket purchase.
- A signed liability waiver will be required from all attendees.
Email Benjamin Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.