Every borough has its secrets, and Brooklyn boasts some of the most unusual of them all.
Untapped Cities’ Michelle Young and Augustin Pasquet have gathered these mysterious locals and legendary spaces into Secret Brooklyn: An Unusual Guide to shed light on these hidden histories. You'll discover secret museums, go on an urban safari for wild parrots, watch a performance of robots in a church, stand tall next to hobbit doors on an otherwise normal residential street, learn how to breathe fire, swallow swords, hammer a nail into your skull and charm a snake, touch the oldest subway tunnel in the world and the world’s smallest Torah. The book features over 125 locations in Brooklyn, ranging from the secret, to historically fascinating, to the modern-day marvels, including the dramatic Newtown Creek Digester Eggs.
The event will take place alongside those gigantic Digester Eggs! In a most unusual spot that overlooks the metallic spheres in a startlingly peaceful contrast, sits the Kingsland Wildflowers natural habitat. Attendees will be given the rare opportunity to tour the wildflower garden before taking a seat to explore Brooklyn through Michelle and Augustin’s eyes.
- General admission - $26
- Duo admission + book - $70
- The event will begin with a sunset toast and tour; guests are invited to mingle and explore the space with wildlife experts at NYC Audubon Society.
- At 7pm, Michelle Young and Augustin Pasquet’s discussion on Secret Brooklyn: An Unusual Guide begins.
- A cash bar will be available. Please bring I.D.
- Copies of Secret Brooklyn: An Unusual Guide will be available for purchase on site, and can be autographed by the authors.
About Kingsland Wildflowers:
Funding for Kingsland Wildflowers is provided to NYC Audubon by the Office of the New York State Attorney General and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation through the Greenpoint Community Environmental Fund.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura's New York Obscura Society newsletter
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.