The night sky is wondrous, filled with countless swirling galaxies, the planets, the moon and so much more. Many of these sights are easily visible from Earth with the help of the right equipment. With two telescopes, two constellation walls, and knowledgeable guides, the Little Thompson Observatory is just the place to experience the vast universe!
Join us to learn about the equipment at the Little Thompson Observatory, discover the Lakota constellation map (which differs from the constellations of the Zodiac), and gaze through telescopes. After soaking in the view, we’ll head over to Sunrise Cinema to indulge in cosmos (or B Stiff sodas for kids), moon pies, and a space trivia competition. The winning trivia team will walk away with a space-themed prize basket!
About the Little Thompson Observatory:
The Little Thompson Observatory carries on a Berthoud tradition which dates back to John Bunyan’s love of astronomy and his Bunyan Observatory. It opened in 1999, thanks to the hard work and dedication of Tom Patterson and local volunteers. In 2007, Telescopes in Education provided the observatory with a second telescope, the historical Mount Wilson 24-inch. It was built for the Apollo program to study lunar dust on the moon and to find landing sites for the astronauts. It then was used for two decades of research by grad students from Caltech, and then by TIE at Mount Wilson for education, before being retired.
- Admission includes a Moon Pie and a cosmo (21+ only) or BStiff soda.
- This event will run rain or shine. If it is a cloudy night, don’t worry! The Little Thompson Observatory will share some of their space footage and dive more into the history of the Lakota constellations.
- We will meet at the Little Thompson Observatory. 850 Spartan Ave, Berthoud, CO 80513
- This event is open to all ages.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to check in.
Email Hannah Finch at email@example.com.
Stay connected! Check out our other events; join our Facebook Group for discussions, photos, and likeminded adventurers; subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Denver newsletter for a first glimpse at upcoming events.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.