Set your sights on the South Shore of Long Island for this very special Atlas Obscura Summer Friday excursion. Upon your arrival in the seaside town of Patchogue, we’ll take you away to enjoy special-access sites, lively performances, and of course, Blue Point brews throughout the day and into the night.
Our first stop is a sneak peek of the under-construction operations for one of New York state's biggest craft brewers. We’ll don hard hats to see how a former campus is being converted into an active brewing facility. Before hopping back on the bus, we’ll sample some of the freshest beer you’ll ever have, as well as beer made with unusual and unexpected ingredients.
In addition to being the home of Blue Point Brewery, the South Shore is also a main source of the East Coast’s oysters. We’re pairing our excursion with a trip to Blue Island oyster hatchery where you’ll see—under microscope—how oysters grow, a mad scientist’s algae lab, and meet a former Long Island oyster diver. If you are one of the lucky few, you may even discover a pearl in your oyster!
After a long day of exploring the wonders of the South Shore, we’ll celebrate at the site of the first Blue Point Brewery, which started as a shipyard lot almost two decades ago and is now closing at the end of this year. Your evening will be full of surprises and libations as you enjoy a sunset dinner, raw bar, and live performances.
Afterwards, you’ll be transported back to the Patchogue Train station and say goodbye to Patchogue—until next time!
This event is presented in partnership with Blue Point Brewery.
- This event is strictly 21+.
- Beer, non-alcoholic beverages, oysters, dinner, and transportation around Patchogue are included with your ticket.
- LIRR tickets are not included in the price of admission. Please purchase your round-trip train ticket at Penn Station before embarking.
- You must wear closed toed-shoes appropriate for walking on uneven and wet surfaces and for standing for long periods of time.
- This event is not ADA accessible.
- Ticket quantities are extremely limited and are expected to sell out.
- If you’d like to travel with the Atlas Obscura group, purchase your LIRR ticket and meet us at 2:00 p.m. at the Penn Station Shake Shack. There, you can grab a pre-departure snack or a beer!
- We'll be taking the 2:36 p.m. train from Penn Station to Patchogue, and returning on the 9:35 p.m. train.
- Approximate travel time from Penn Station to Patchogue Station is 90 minutes.
- Those traveling by car can meet us the Patchogue Station at 4:15 p.m.. Please be punctual, the bus will depart promptly.
Email Larissa Hayden at email@example.com.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society New York newsletter