An urban boat cruise, Atlas Obscura style! Field Agent Adam Selzer hosts a 90 minute cruise aboard the Summer of George along the Chicago River, featuring Halloween-ready stories about the strange history of the buildings. Learn about murders, strange submarines, gruesome disasters, unsolved mysteries, urban legends, and more through an after-dark cruise through Chicago’s incomparable skyline and lakefront.
Selzer has been a historian and tour guide in the city for over a decade, with over 2000 ghost tours and several hundred architectural boat tours to his credit - this is a rare chance to see both styles of tour combined! He is the author of Mysterious Chicago, H.H. Holmes: The True History of the White City Devil, The Ghosts of Chicago, and several more critically acclaimed books, and has appeared speaking about Chicago history on several episodes of shows like American Ripper, Mysteries at the Museum, Monumental Mysteries, and more. His research has recently been featured in the Tribune, Rolling Stone, The New York Times, Washington Post, and more. His tours are utterly hilarious, ridiculously informative, and endlessly fascinating - the perfect architecture cruise for Halloween! Relax and enjoy unbeatable views while you hear some incredible stories.
The Summer of George
is a yacht that departs from Bertrand Goldberg’s River City marina (900 S Wells
). It features seating with spectacular views on the top deck, and a fully-functioning bar on the lower deck.
- The event will run rain or shine.
- Arrive no less than 15 minutes before the 7 PM start time; the boat leaves promptly and cannot wait for latecomers.
- Costumes are encouraged! It is Halloween weekend, after all!
- Accessibility is limited; the boat can accept strollers/wheelchairs but there are a few steps to board/disembark the boat and upstairs seating/below deck restrooms are only accessible via stairs.
- Upstairs outdoor seating and indoor temperature controlled seating is available.
- The boat has a bar featuring drinks and snacks available for purchase.
- Parking is available for about $8 in the lot next to the River City Marina.
- The Harrison Red Line stop is about a 10 minute walk away from the marina; you can also find the 22 Clark Street Bus Stop at Clark and Polk not far away.
Is my ticket refundable? No, sorry kids, no money back on this purchase but you can transfer it by following this handy Eventbrite tutorial.