Hidden behind a great stone wall overlooking the Hudson River resides a masterpiece of unspoken beauty. Statues of sphinxes tower from beyond the embarkment, crumbling tiles line the remembrance of an elaborate mosaic pool, and 2,000-year-old imported Roman columns frame a dramatic view of the Palisades.
For the second year in a row, join Atlas Obscura and the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy to experience the wonder and beauty of Untermyer Gardens. In this enthralling evening filled with exploration and performance, you'll enter a hidden world of wonder and beauty inspired by the gardens' architecture, design, history, and lore.
Attendees will find themselves transported back to the golden years of the Greystone Estate, when Mrs. Minnie Untermyer hosted some of the greatest artists and performers of the early 20th century and Samuel Untermyer roamed the property with a white orchid in his lapel.
At dusk, more stories will be revealed. When Untermyer passed in 1940, the daunting cost of upkeep left his former gardens unmaintained, eventually falling into ruin. Victim to vandalism and overgrowth, by the mid-1970s Untermyer Park had gained a dark reputation as a gathering place for occult activities.
Brought to you by the curators behind Into the Veil, The Great Forgotten Garden Party invokes the past in this hidden garden oasis, revealing a world of music and dance where ancient mythology and modern legends entwine.
This event is brought to you in partnership with the Young Friends of Untermyer Gardens.
- Festive attire is encouraged, as is sensible footwear for wandering down uneven forest pathways.
- Cash bars serving a variety of beer, wine, and craft cocktails will be available onsite.
- A variety of savory and sweet picnic items, teas and elixirs by The Awkward Scone will be available for purchase.
- Guests are welcome to bring their own picnics as well, however outside alcohol will not be permitted.
- Take the MetroNorth to Yonkers Station. Complimentary shuttle bus service will be provided between Yonkers Station and Untermyer Gardens throughout the evening.
Email Megan Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura Society New York's newsletter
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.