Hidden behind a great stone wall overlooking the Hudson River resides a masterpiece of unspoken beauty. Statues of sphinxes tower from beyond the embarkment, crumbling tiles line the remembrance of an elaborate mosaic pool, and 2,000-year-old imported Roman columns frame a dramatic view of the Palisades.
For the third year in a row, join Atlas Obscura and the Untermyer Gardens Conservancy to experience the wonder and beauty of Untermyer Gardens. In this enthralling evening filled with exploration and performance, you'll enter a hidden world of wonder and beauty inspired by the gardens' architecture, design, history, and lore. Brought to you by the curators behind Into the Veil, The Great Forgotten Garden Party invokes the past in this hidden garden oasis, revealing a world of music and dance where ancient mythology and modern legends entwine.
Attendees will find themselves transported back to the golden years of the Greystone Estate, when Mrs. Minnie Untermyer hosted some of the greatest artists and performers of the early 20th century and Samuel Untermyer roamed the property with a white orchid in his lapel. When Untermyer passed in 1940, the daunting cost of upkeep left his former gardens unmaintained, eventually falling into ruin. Victim to vandalism and overgrowth, by the mid-1970s Untermyer Park had gained a dark reputation as a gathering place for occult activities. In the nearly 50 years since, the gardens have been revitalized and restored by the conservancy and open to the public for in-depth tours and events.
Live performances will take place throughout the night, including sets by headlining artists Armen Ra & Mr Twin Sister.
The mesmerizing style of theremin virtuoso Armen Ra has garnered the admiration of fans around the world, making him widely considered one of the finest thereminists alive. Armen Ra began to study the theremin in 2001, and later that year shared the stage with Antony and The Johnsons for his debut performance. He has since toured with Nick Cave, recorded with Selena Gomez and Gwen Stefani, and performed all over the world, in venues ranging from CBGB's to the United Nations, and Disney's Concert Hall. For The Great Forgotten Garden Party, Armen Ra has compiled a very special set inspired by the beauty and history of Untermyer Gardens
Mr Twin Sister (formerly known as Twin Sister) creates groove-oriented psychedelic music with notes of disco, nu-wave & house. Their 2014 self-titled album was recognized as one of the best albums of the year by Pitchfork, Gorilla vs Bear, New York Magazine, Time Magazine, Huffington Post, and many others. The long-anticipated follow up album Salt was released at the end of 2018, to an enthusiastic response. Atlas Obscura is thrilled to be featuring Mr Twin Sister at this year's Great Forgotten Garden Party.
ALSO FEATURING -
- Slavic Soul Party
- Corpus Callosum Dance Company
- Carolin Pook's Soundscape for Strings
- Denis Demakos & The Medusa Players
- Bug Whispering with Aaron Rodriques
- Suitcase of Wonders
- Ventikoland Photographic Experience
- The Brooklyn Botanica - Kaftan Pop Up
- Plus many more surprises...
FOOD & DRINK
- Guests are welcome to bring their own picnics, but outside alcohol will not be permitted.
- Beer and wine will be available for purchase with card or cash on-site.
- Pre-orders of wine bundles are available until July 25th at 2 pm.
- A variety of savory and sweet picnic items, teas and elixirs by The Awkward Scone will be available on-site for purchase.
- Pre-orders of picnic boxes are available until July 24th at noon.
- 21+ to drink, must have I.D.
Take the MetroNorth to Yonkers Station.
Complimentary shuttle bus service will be provided between Yonkers Station and Untermyer Gardens throughout the evening.
- Festive attire is encouraged, as is sensible footwear for wandering down uneven forest pathways.
- All ages are welcome. Guests 12 and under admitted free with a ticket-holding adult.
- This event is brought to you in partnership with the Young Friends of Untermyer Gardens.
Email Adriana Mollelo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura Society New York's newsletter
This event features complementary organic Kombucha, generously donated by GT's Living Foods, while supplies last.