The pipes of the historic Mighty Wulitzer Pipe Organ range in length from the height of a pencil to over 32 feet, together creating a singular symphony of sounds that reverberate within the historic space of the Chicago Theatre.
If you're intrigued by what sort magic this would bring to your ears, join us on January 26 to hear a live demonstration of the Mighty Wurlitzer at the legendary Chicago Theatre. The Mighty Wurlitzer is a one-of-a-kind National Landmark, installed in 1921 when the Chicago Theatre first opened its doors. Concerts on this very unique instrument are rarely offered to the public, but this January, Atlas Obscura is proud to offer a special chance to hear and understand the story behind its music.
The event will start with a mini tour of the Chicago Theatre by Atlas Obscura Field Agent and theatre historian Leyla I. Royale. The tour will be followed by an in-depth examination of the Mighty Wurlitzer by pipe organ master Glenn Tallar, the resident organist at the Chicago Theatre.
Join us as we treat our eyes and ears to an unusual and exclusive evening of history and sound.
- Meet us underneath the marquee of the Chicago Theatre 15 minutes prior to start time. Leyla will welcome you into the the Theatre lobby at 6:30 pm.
- All ages may join, though we suggest you be 15 years old and above.
- Walking shoes are a good idea! There will be several staircases.
- The event is ADA accessible for the most part, but there are certain areas of the Theatre which are only accessible via stairs, namely backstage.
- For those interested in taking pictures—yes, photography is allowed!
- This ticket is not refundable, but you can transfer it by following this handy Eventbrite tutorial.
Field Agent Leyla I. Royale
Leyla I. Royale is an avid Chicago historian and jack of all trades. She is the creator of Chicago horror history site Dead In Chicago, which features daily updates on horrible happenings from the city's past. She works as a cellist for local and national Chicago musicians, is an employee and trapeze artist at Trapeze School New York in Chicago, has been a dedicated historic tour guide at The Chicago Theatre, and spends her Octobers working as a haunted tour guide and as an actor for Zombie Army Productions.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Illinois Obscura Society newsletter