Join Atlas Obscura Society D.C. and the Lost Towns Project for an exclusive archaeology workshop and tour of the Two Run Branch Site, a Pre-Colonial Native American campsite that dates back thousands of years. We'll be excavating within a wooded area of the 1,700-acre Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, recognized by the National Audubon Society as an Important Bird Area.
Dr. Zachary Singer and his crew will showcase some of the artifacts they've already discovered while demonstrating common techniques used in archaeology field work. Then, get your hands dirty searching for prehistoric pottery, stone tools made of quartz and rhyolite, and other objects that date back as far as 8,000 ago! After you've wiped your sweaty brow, sit down and relax by the Patuxent River.
The Lost Towns Project is a 25-year-old nonprofit organization that attracts scholars who facilitate and promote the discovery, preservation, stewardship, and appreciation of cultural resources, historic structures, and archaeological sites in Anne Arundel County.
- This location is not metro or bus accessible and is located about 45 minutes outside of Washington, D.C.
- Parking is available at the Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary Visitor Center lot.
- This is an outdoor event. Wear appropriate, closed-toe footwear and dress for the weather.
- All participants must complete the liability waiver that will be sent, along with additional guidelines, prior to our adventure.
- For this event the normal training period and admission fees to the sanctuary have been waived.
- Part of the proceeds will benefit the Lost Towns Project.
- In order to protect the privacy of the site, photographs are allowed as long as they are not geo-tagged.
- Each aspiring archaeologist will be automatically entered into a raffle for Lost Towns merchandise.
- This event is family-friendly! All adventurers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Contact Julie Seigel at email@example.com.
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters and join our Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Facebook group to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.