Join Atlas Obscura Society D.C. and the Lost Towns Project for an exclusive archaeology workshop and tour of the Ferguson Site, part of the colonial seaport London Town that dates back three centuries. We'll be excavating near the 23-acre park of the Historic London Town and Gardens—a colonial town founded in 1683 by an Act of Advancement of Trade—which now lives as an epicenter of history, archaeology, and horticulture.
Dr. Zachary Singer and his crew will showcase some of the artifacts they've already discovered while demonstrating common techniques used in archaeology field work. Then, get your hands dirty searching for historic ceramics, table and window glass, smoking pipes, and other objects that date back as far as the 1600s. After you've wiped your sweaty brow, sit down and relax by the South River.
The Lost Towns Project is a 25-year-old nonprofit organization that attracts scholars who facilitate and promote the discovery, preservation, stewardship, and appreciation of cultural resources, historic structures, and archaeological sites in Anne Arundel County.
- This location is not metro or bus accessible and is located about 50 minutes outside of Washington, D.C.
- Parking is available near the Visitor Center.
- This is an outdoor event. Wear appropriate, closed-toe footwear and dress for the weather.
- All participants must complete the liability waiver that will be sent, along with additional guidelines, prior to our adventure.
- For this event the normal training period and admission fees to the park have been waived.
- Part of the proceeds will benefit the Lost Towns Project.
- In order to protect the privacy of the site, photographs are allowed as long as they are not geo-tagged.
- Each aspiring archaeologist will be automatically entered into a raffle for Lost Towns merchandise.
- This event is family-friendly! All adventurers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Contact Julie Seigel at email@example.com.
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters and join our Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Facebook group to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.