Atlas Obscura is looking for a Director of Operations to help manage the rapid expansion of our events business. Atlas Obscura events are unique, immersive, and intimate 2-3 hour experiences designed to inspire a sense of wonder and curiosity in locals and tourists alike. We believe there is something new to discover, every day, all over the world—and around the corner. Atlas Obscura experiences enable our community to explore the curious and awe-inspiring places that exist all around us through unique workshops, wondrous performances, in-depth presentations and unusual access tours.
The Director of Operations will play a key role in our ambitious expansion from a handful of U.S. cities to worldwide, while ensuring Atlas Obscura events are profitable and fascinating.
- Partner with the General Manager of Experiences and key stakeholders to define and execute a strategic plan for the continued expansion of Atlas Obscura events both domestically and internationally.
- Develop materials for on-boarding event guides and hosts, standardizing procedures and policies.
- Develop and manage relationships with external tour partners, including drafting contracts and overseeing foreign contract employees.
- Set up systems and templates for easy goal tracking and revenue monitoring.
- Analyze and optimize our existing event systems, updating and making improvements as needed.
- Conduct market research to help guide our expansion decisions.
- Ensure that as we expand globally, we are in compliance with international regulations and laws.
- Develop the foundation for a new type of Atlas Obscura event programming in which we curate and own the tour intellectual property (IP), and a system for contracting licensed local guides.
- At least 5 years of event operations experience.
- Analytical mindset, quick problem-solving skills, and ability to think strategically.
- Excellent communicator with strong managerial and interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively across the organization.
- Ability to organize and manage complex business projects.
- Experience with business administration, finance, and strategic planning.
- Experience handling international operations, including crisis management.
- A hands-on attitude, a healthy sense of humor, and a passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of finding and exploring the coolest places on the planet.
Atlas Obscura is headquartered in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include flexible time off, family leave, and contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.
To apply, please follow this link: https://atlasobscura.applytojob.com/apply/BNdCpfcPh4/Director-Of-Operations-Experiences