Atlas Obscura is seeking a senior customer service and operations manager to join our growing Trips team. A media, experiences, and travel company, we launched our first group trips in 2016, and the response has been tremendous. The Guest Experience Manager will be responsible for all aspects of our pre- and post-trip guest experience, working closely with our Trip Coordinators, who liaise with our travelers, trip leaders, and suppliers. This will include overseeing our customer service for travelers, identifying ways to increase guest satisfaction and loyalty, ensuring accuracy in the travel arrangements we manage (e.g., hotel reservations and payment collection), building and maintaining improved systems for collecting and tracking traveler information, and responding to elevated guest service issues or on-trip emergencies. You’ll also lead efforts to hire and onboard new guest-experience staff as our Trips business expands. Additionally, you’ll work with our guides, fixers, suppliers, and tour operator partners around the world on logistics and operational aspects of our trips. As a member of our small but growing team, you’ll have the opportunity to help shape the future of our Trips business. The position is based in Brooklyn, NY, with occasional domestic and international travel.
- Oversee all aspects of customer service operations for Atlas Obscura Trips.
- Manage the flow of information between Atlas Obscura, our guests, guides, and local service providers, working closely with our Trip Coordinators.
- Implement and maintain quality benchmarks and consistent best practices with guest-facing staff.
- Develop systems to ensure efficiency and accuracy in the collection and communication of traveler information, including the coordination of extra services such as private touring or pre- and post-tour hotel stays.
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen relationships with our travelers and partners around the world.
- Help expand our offerings by brainstorming new trip ideas and contributing to the development of new itineraries in partnership with the rest of the Trips team.
- Build and maintain destination knowledge through research about and occasional travel to the areas where we operate trips.
- Work with a small, growing, ambitious team to help shape the future of Atlas Obscura’s Trips business.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience in customer service, ideally with a tour operator
- Dedication to the experience and satisfaction of our travelers
- Extremely strong, intuitive interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- A creative and collaborative approach to problem-solving
- Ability to calmly, confidently handle elevated customer service issues and on-trip emergencies
- A healthy sense of humor
- A passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of finding and exploring the world’s coolest places
Nice to Have
- Relevant destination knowledge
- Conflict-resolution or emergency-response experience
- Experience coordinating or leading group trips
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by September 14.