The largest tea plantation in Malaysia is a massive spread of acres that supplies almost all of the tea for the considerable demand in the surrounding countries. It is also loaded with a natural beauty all its own.
Founded during the British colonial era by the British businessman J. A. Russel, the plantation has grown considerably since 1929. It has expanded from a small tract of land in Habu to acres of tea-growing sites in Cameron Highlands. The cool climate and the rich soil of this province provide a fertile ground for cultivating tea.
The name BOH comes from “Bohea”, the hills in Fujian Province where tea was originally thought to have been discovered. During World War II, the estate was occupied by the Japanese and largely abandoned. After Malaysia declared independence from the British Empire in 1957, many British planters left the country. But the Russels remained in Malaysia, and the company grew as they acquired several other tea farming operations. Today, at over 8,000 acres, the BOH tea plantation is the largest in Southeast Asia.
BOH also processes its harvest in its own factory located in Sungai Palas. In the same site is the in-house cafe and gift shop where guests can purchase the varieties of tea produced in the factory.