The Box Hill Brickworks is an abandoned brick-making facility that is a wonderland of rusting gears and street art.
Originally built around the 1880’s, the large brickworks intermittently produced builder’s bricks for almost 100 years until finally being abandoned in 1988. The plant’s smokestack has become a staple of the Box Hill skyline, and the state government even declared the works a heritage preservation site, although this has not led to any active preservation. The remaining machinery, molds, and kiln have become a playground for urban explorers and graffiti artists. In the years since its closing, almost every surface of the interior has been covered with graffiti. Despite security patrols and its status as a preservation site, nothing seems to have stopped adventurous explorers and artists from turning the rusty old site into a local hotspot for harmless transgression.