Camp Peoria Civil War Marker
One of two identical monuments marking the sites of military training encampments in Peoria, Illinois.
This entry is a stub
Keeping silent watch over a bustling industrial and residential area east of downtown Peoria, Illinois, is a stone monument that marks the site of a Civil War training encampment known as Camp Peoria.
Operating for only a short stint from August to November 1862, the camp trained and mustered eight regiments to serve the Union Army. An identical monument at the corner of North Prospect Road and Arcadia Streets marks the location of Camp Lyon, a similar installation that operated from 1861 to 1864. The Camp Peoria marker was erected by the George A. Wilson Circle, Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic in 1911.
Know Before You Go
Be sure to also visit the identical marker for Camp Lyon, another important Civil War encampment, at the corner of North Prospect Road and Arcadia Street, near the entrance to Glen Oak Park.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook