The Falls of Dochart run through the small town of Killin, which is situated within the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park. The falls are fed upstream by Loch Tay, another site that is well worth a visit if in the area. The falls are traversed by the unsurprisingly named Bridge of Dochart, which was first constructed in 1760. Some of the best viewpoints of the falls can be seen from the bridge, or alternatively, the bridge makes a great background for photographers.
Just down from the falls, the waters of the river flow around the Islands of Inchbuie, which is the ancient burial place of members of Clan Macnab. This has been the case since the 1700s and is home to at least 15 graves. For those who are interested in viewing these, a key to the gate can be procured from one of the local shops, with instructions for doing so printed on the gate.
The nearby St Fillan’s Mill was built in 1840 to harness the river’s flow for agricultural use. This is now home to an arts and crafts shop. Across the road is the Falls of Dochart Inn. Originally a blacksmith, this is now a hotel, and it is worth popping in for some food or drink while in the area. Especially if a sunny day (can be rare in Scotland) it is beautiful to sit outside and ponder the past lives of those living in the area.
Know Before You Go
The falls are very easily accessible beside the main road. Some may say they are too accessible, as especially in the summer or on public holidays they can be a bit too busy. This especially attracts tourists who do not know how to respect the outdoors, with frequent littering etc. Despite this, the falls are kept in a good condition by the local council and are well worth a visit.