A historic fortification critical to Anglo-Scottish conflicts now serves as a bed and breakfast.
The Fawside family were owners of this property after Scottish leader Robert the Bruce’s rebellion. The Fawsides oversaw the construction of the general plan of the modern-day castle during the 16th-century. During the Rough Wooing between 1544-1548, an English faction burned the Fa’side castle prior to the Battle of Pinkie Cleugh.
A fortification stood at the site prior to the castle’s construction that dated back to the late 12th-century and the first Earl of Winchester. The location has also been the site of other historical events such as a visit from Mary, Queen of Scots in 1567. The castle was later abandoned to the point it was considered for demolition in the 1970s, but after being sold to a private owner it now functions as a bed and breakfast.
Even in the modern era, Fa’side has been unable to avoid conflict, as the property was part of an early 2010s embezzlement case. As a result, the castle was sold for a staggering price of £1.9 million.
Know Before You Go
The castle is a private residence with no access to the interior or grounds. One would have to book an accommodation to have a look inside. It's location is on a country lane with no room to park one's car. Just a few yards from the entrance is a pedestrian walking trail, where one can park and then walk up to the castle.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook