This entry is a stub
The converted mansion at 2100 19th St NW is the oldest standing building commissioned and occupied by a foreign government in Washington D.C.
The Qing Dynasty constructed and occupied various buildings in Washington since first establishing its diplomatic presence in the United States in 1875. It then moved into this building in 1902 and served as the Qing Legation in the U.S., until the formation of the Republic of China in 1912. It served in that capacity until 1935 when it was designated as an embassy. The Republic of China then moved its diplomatic offices out of this building during World War II in 1944. It currently houses a number of apartment units at the southernmost edge of Adams Morgan.