Hisor Fort is conveniently located along the Khanaka River, in Hisor Valley. The building has gone through different reconstructions, renovations, and additions, but historical records point at a fort in Hisor as far back as 1000 BC. More recent records of the fort relate to the time when Cyrus the Great founded the first Persian Empire (around 550 BC).
Not much of the original fort passed the test of time, unfortunately, and dating the current fort is not a straightforward task, as different buildings were added at different times. The oldest surviving part of Hisor Fort is the arched gate, which is probably from 500.
Chasmai Mohiyon Mosque was built in 700, the same period of time when the construction of Sangin Mosque (Stone Mosque) also started, but this wasn’t completed until almost 1,000 years later. A salient feature of Sangin Mosque is the four bottomless jugs placed within the walls of the dome to improve the acoustics of the hall.
The 1500s mark the building of several components of the fort, namely the wall where the main gate is located, the Old Madrassa, the Makhdumi A’zam Mausoleum, and some additions to the Old Mosque. One of the latest additions to the fort is a caravanserai from 1808, a time in which towns along the Silk Road were thriving. Only the lower part of the caravanserai remains, as the top layer was taken by the Soviets to build a theater in Dushanbe.
Most of these structures have been renovated. The Old Madrassa houses a museum with items from Tajikistan’s rural past and Soviet memorabilia.