This entry is a stub
Before the cemetery was created, the site was the location of several Revolutionary War skirmishes and houses a few bunkers that still exist today constructed during the War of 1812. Various underground crypts located around the cemetery were used as shelters for slaves traveling to freedom along the Underground Railroad.
Despite the historical relevance of the cemetery, it fell into disrepair and neglect. In 2008, a Board of Trustees was established to help restore the cemetery to its former glory and protect it for future generations. Every summer, goats are used to control the cemetery’s invasive weed population.