On Greenpoint Avenue at Provost Street is the four story former factory of the Leviton Corporation, manufacturers of electrical wiring devices.
In 1906, Evsor and Isidore Leviton’s twelve employees were manufacturing brass fittings for gas lights in Manhattan when the father and son partners developed a pull chain holder for the new Edison light bulb in 1910.
Leviton moved to Greenpoint in 1922, and the 2 square block factory in Greenpoint was erected in 1936. The company moved out in 1975, and remains a global leader in electronics manufacturing. Leviton is remembered for being one of the first large companies in the United States to ignore race and religion in hiring decisions.