Lieutenant General William C. Gribble Jr. Memorial
This marker at the entrance to the Humphreys Engineer Center honors the former Chief of the Army Corps of Engineers.
William C. Gribble, Jr., had a distinguished career in the United States Army after graduating from the U.S. Military Academy in 1941. He was commissioned in the Army Corps of Engineers.
After World War II, he worked at Los Alamos laboratory and spent time in the Reactor Division of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission before ascending to head of the Army’s nuclear power program in 1960-1961.
He held several other prestigious positions on his way to becoming Chief of Engineers of the Army Corps of Engineers and served in that role from 1973-1976. Gribble passed along the gold castles insignia of the Corps to his successor, Lieutenant General John W. Morris at his retirement on June 25, 1976.
Lieutenant General Gribble died at Fort Belvoir in 1979 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
Know Before You Go
The Gribble Gate and memorial at the Army Corps of Engineers headquarters are visible from Telegraph Road and are very close to the roadway, well before the site ID check, but the area is monitored by Military Police so exercise caution when approaching.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook