Marconi American Wireless Company Tower
A piece of telecommunications history.
Located near New Bedford in Monmouth County, New Jersey, Tower WW2GM is the top portion of one of the many radio towers that once existed in this area as part of the first commercial transatlantic communication installation.
Between 1912 and 1914, the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company of America built a number of 500-foot towers in this area. During World War I, the U.S. Navy took over the site, as the towers were vital tools for transatlantic military communication. After the war ended, the Navy returned the towers to civilian use. By that time, the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company of America had become the Radio Corporation of America (RCA). The old towers and station were abandoned and left to fall into disrepair.
This tower—what remains of it, at least—was salvaged from Shark River in 1974 by Wall Public Works and erected in this small park in 1976 by Wall Township. Its location is not far from where it once stood as part of a larger tower.
Ham radio enthusiasts have played a significant role in keeping the tower alive over the years. The call letters WW2GM were devised by Dr. Jozef Hand-Boniakowski, who applied to the FCC for the call sign as part of a special event to commemorate Marconi’s 100th birthday, During the event he and other Ham radio operators used the tower to send transatlantic transmissions to honor the man known as the “father of radio.” The tower is depicted in the upper right quadrant of the Wall Township seal.
Know Before You Go
The park is on the east side of Marconi Rd approximately 465 feet south of the intersection of Brighton Ave. and Marconi Rd.
The wooden sign affixed to the tower was fashioned by Wall Township Bi-centennial committee member Jerome Jarger, in his basement workshop.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook