The city of Brooklyn bought a parcel of land bounded by Monitor, Russell, Nassau and Driggs in 1889, which they would call Winthrop Park.
Named for Assemblyman Winthrop Jones, the park would receive many additions over the years, including a playground in 1897 and the shelter pavilion- a registered New York City landmark designed by architects Helmle and Huberty in 1910.
The park features a large 1939 sculpture by Antonio de Filippo named “The Monitor and the Merrimac.” It depicts a stylized muscular nude man tugging a rope attached to a capstan. It was meant to honor John Ericson, the Swedish American inventor who came up with the screw propellor. (Despite accidentally blowing up the secretaries of Navy and State in 1844, Ericson was given the second chance to design the Monitor.)
The park was renamed for Monsignor Edward McGolrick, a beloved Roman Catholic Priest in 1941. As Winthrop Jones left no heirs, there was no one to object to the name change.
Visit New York State with Atlas Obscura Trips
Only in Queens: Tasting Our Way Through New York’s Most Diverse Borough
Manhattan may have name-brand recognition and Brooklyn a certain cache, but Queens is the city’s largest and most diverse borough. Join us, October 4-7, to dig into Queens’ rich neighborhood life.