Old Fort Park – New Smyrna Beach, Florida - Atlas Obscura

Old Fort Park

These mysterious ruins are hidden amid this sleepy coastal city.  

33
110

Old Fort Park is a beautiful public park located in an artsy little seaside city in central Florida. The park overlooks a small community harbor and is open to pets.

The site itself is named after a Scottish physician Andrew Turnbull, who established the colony of New Smyrna in 1767. Turnbull built his settlement during Florida’s British period which lasted approximately 20 years, from 1763 to 1783.

Walking up to the ruins along a paved footpath, the site initially appears to be an 18th-century Spanish fortification. The ruins are easily accessible to the public and overlook the city of New Smyrna’s Intracoastal Waterway.

The east and south sides of the rock face are earth sloping, the western and northern sides are exposed and show the incredible amount of detail featured on the structure. 

Know Before You Go

This park is easily accessible with ample parking and no entry fee.


The park also contains a small visitors center with limited hours. Located along Riverside Drive, across from the New Smyrna Beach City Hall.

Community Contributors
Doc Nicholas
Added By
Edited by

Make an Edit Add Photos
Want to see fewer ads? Become a Member.
From Around the Web