Old Town Spring
A natural spring situated on the grounds of the Hawthorne estate.
Old Town Spring and the accompanying springhouse, which according to the earliest external inscription was constructed in 1816, were purchased by the city in 1840 as an early municipal water distribution system to enhance water service in Winchester, Virginia.
Laid in Flemish blonde brick, the springhouse is in outstanding condition. It contains a door on the south side that allows access to the open spring. The brick porch and steps appear to have been a later addition.
The interior is two stories with only part of the building containing a floor. The basement included pipes, pumps, and concrete channels dating back to the days when the spring provided water to the city. There are external concrete works still in place that harken back to those days.
The Old Town Spring supplied water to the City of Winchester until 1890.
Know Before You Go
Old Town Spring is near the southwest corner of the property near Amherst Street and sports a sign that reads "Old Town Spring."
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook