Demurely set just off Central Avenue, the Our Lady of Lourdes church is on record as being the oldest continuously used church in Minneapolis.
Built in the mid-1850s by the First Universal Society, the original building was constructed of native limestone in a “greek temple” style. In 1877, however, the church was purchased by the Catholic French Canadian community, who further changed the exterior design to that of a French Provincial church. The same community has now worshiped at Our Lady Lourdes for over 120 years.
Though the building has undergone massive renovations over the past 30 years, the church has attempted to maintain as much of the original style as possible. Stop in for a bit of exploration or maybe even sit in on daily mass.
Keep in mind delicious French Meat Pies are available for sale in the parish office next to the church Mon-Sat from 9am to 4:30pm and on Sunday mornings.