Potsdam South Train Station opened in 1958 at the intersection of Berlin’s outer ring rail line and the regional rail line from the city center to Michendorf. It gave residents of Potsdam direct access to Schönefeld Airport and East Berlin via the outer ring without traveling through West Berlin.
In 1960 the station was renamed Potsdam Central Station, and it remained a busy transportation hub until the unification of Germany in 1990. In 1991 the station stopped servicing intercity trains, as they were traveling to Berlin via the central (and not the outer ring) rail line through the Potsdam City Station.
In 1993 the station was renamed Potsdam-Pirschheide, after the forest in which it sits. The City Station took on the tasks of Potsdam’s Central Station, which was renamed Potsdam Central Station in 1999. That same year, the upper platforms servicing the outer ring rail line were taken out of service.
In 2012 the station buildings were sold to private investors, who restored the historical structures. Today they hold offices, a restaurant, and an event space. Direct access to Berlin’s new airport, BER, has renewed interest in this hub and Deutsche Bahn plans on reopening the upper platforms by 2023-24 with demolition of the ruins starting in 2022.
Know Before You Go
As the lower platform is still in operation, access is free to all. The upper platforms are not publicly accessible and should be viewed from afar. A very good view of the upper level is from the top of the exit stairway and the bridge at the very end of the lower platform.
Regional trains RB22 and RB23 run from Potsdam Central Station regularly and tram lines 91 and 98 end there.