Rising Sun Tavern
Constructed by the younger brother of George Washington.
Constructed in 1761 by Charles Washington, the youngest brother of George Washington, this historic home was occupied by the Washington family until approximately 1780.
It changed hands twice in the early 1790s with John Frasier, a tenant of Colonel Gustav Wallace, opening a tavern in 1792 known as the “Golden Eagle.”
The building was purchased in 1907 by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia). The building has been outfitted with period furnishings and exhibits that reflect early life in Fredericksburg. In 2013, ownership of the house was passed to Washington Heritage Museums. It still operates as a museum to this day and is open for tours, but does not serve food or drink.
Know Before You Go
Rising Sun Tavern was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook