Erected in 1900 at the music concourse established for the 1894 California Midwinter Exposition, the classically inspired band shell was a gift to the city from sugar mogul Claus Spreckels.
The building was designed by the firm of Reid Bros., the architects responsible for numerous landmark buildings in San Francisco including the First Congregational Church and the Fairmont Hotel. Damaged first in the 1906 earthquake and then again in 1989’s Loma Prieta, the temple was most recently restored in 1994, with a complete seismic makeover. Today the bandshell, as it is commonly referred to, is the oldest structure at the music concourse, with the exception of a few remaining original statues dating to the Midwinter Exposition.
The temple is now a popular feature of Golden Gate park, used for picnics and Sunday afternoon band concerts.