This building contains a door only used by members of the royal family.
Stationers’ Hall is a Grade I listed building, close to St Paul’s Cathedral. It is one of the few ancient Livery Halls remaining in London. The original hall was destroyed by the Great Fire of London with work commencing on the new hall in 1670. It was completed in 1673 and was used for dinner on Lord Mayor’s day.
One key area to look out for is the Crush Landing situated atop a short flight of stairs, en route to the Stock Room and Great Hall. Around the walls are pictures of Past Masters of the Company who have served as Lord Mayor of London. There is also the Lord Mayor’s Door, which only the Lord Mayor and members of the Royal Family are permitted to use.
The Great Hall is the largest of the function rooms. The carved oak paneling originates from 1674, along with banners and shields. There are stained glass windows of William Caxton and William Shakespeare.
The hall was partially destroyed in 1940 during World War II but was restored in 1957 with the ceiling of the Livery Hall re-erected to a design from 1800.
The hall encloses a beautiful garden dominated by an enormous plane tree said to be the oldest in London. It grows on the spot where heretical books, condemned by the ecclesiastical authorities, were allegedly burned during the Tudor period.
The old London wall runs along the back of Stationers’ Hall and some ruins can be seen in the crypt under the garden. The only access to the crypt is through a flagstone by the altar in St Martin-within-Ludgate Church next door.
Know Before You Go
The hall can be viewed when hiring the facility or when they open it up the Open City programme each September. Other options may include giving them a call to arrange a visit. Nearest tube is St Paul's.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook