The ruinous former neo-classical mansion was built for Thomas Fraser of Strichen.
This mansion was constructed to replace the 17th-century palace of Strichen. The barony of Strichen and the tower, and manor of the Mains of Strichen are mentioned in the Records of the Scottish Parliaments as early as 1681.
The house constructed of rough ashlar granite, is now a roofless shell, partially obscured by a lean-to-farm structure erected in place of the former portico of fluted Doric columns.
The landscaped grounds by William Sawrey Gilpin that once surrounded the house are now obscured by the surrounding farmland. In 1855, the estate came into the possession of the Baird Family, owners of the famous Gartsherrie Iron Works.
The property was later used as a shooting lodge, and then a hotel before becoming an army billet. The building was gutted in 1954.
The house is currently on the Buildings At Risk Register and is noted to be at “high” risk.
Know Before You Go
Strichen Stone Circle and the old doo'cot stand in fields nearby.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook