Since opening its doors in 1956, little has changed inside Tom’s Logging Camp. The camp offers an insight into the early 20th-century logging of the region. A true relic, the camp also represents the peak of roadside attraction fervor that once swept across the midwest.
Upon entering, visitors are greeted by a 10-foot-tall Paul Bunyan cutout. Along a short path through the woods are various barns, sheds, and shacks, many of which display fun plaster figures in recreated settings from the period.
As was typical for 1950s roadside attractions, there are many random objects on display inside, such as an electric chair supposedly used in executions, a room full of chainsaws, and a crooked building complete with funhouse mirrors. Not much reading is required when visiting Tom’s Logging Camp, and every nook is filled with historical treasures.
Know Before You Go
Tom's Logging Camp is open seasonally, from May through October. Be sure to bring a few quarters, as there are several areas to feed animals, from fish to llamas.