Carved by Shawn Williamson and unveiled in March 2010, this monument commemorates the 38 miners who died working in this town’s coal mines. The carvings along the boulder depict underground scenes of a coal mining operation, complete with shafts and tunnels. The carving also details the miners and work animals.
A pair of minecarts near the boulder were converted into planters and contain plaques with the names of the deceased miners. The names on the plaque range from 1857 to 1929. Modern coal mining operations in Wallyford started in 1840 when the mine pits were first sunk.
Often and justifiably considered a dangerous profession, the deaths of the miners did not, however, lead to the closure of the mines. It wasn’t until 1972 that the mines finally closed due to economic strain.
Enticed by the descendants and relatives of the town’s miners, the Wallyford Community Council commissioned the carving of the “Miner’s Stone” from Williamson in 2009. From its unveiling the following year to the present day, the stone remains in Wallyford’s St. Clement’s Gardens as a reminder of the loss of human life often associated with obtaining natural resources.
Know Before You Go
Located in a public garden, the stone is visible at all times.