Wothorpe Towers, also known as Wothorpe House, was built between 1615 and 1623 by Thomas Cecil, Earl of Exeter. It was built to serve as a detached lodge for Burghley House, the Cecil family’s grand manor that stands nearby.
The building was used as a residence separate from the main house and entertaining space. But as the estate changed over time, Wothrope House fell out of use. In 1790, it was partially demolished in favor of a working farm. The ruins have been under threat of demolition.
After being abandoned for some time, the towers and farm were purchased by Paul and Janet Griffin from the Burghley House Preservation Trust in 2004; they are in the process of renovating the whole property.
The farm and buildings are all now collectively known as Wothorpe Towers. The structures and the historic landscape on which they stand are undergoing painstaking conservation and repair to ensure their continued existence. When the approved works of consolidation have been carried out, the towers will be open to the public for the first time in their history.