In 1146, German builders completed work on a bridge crossing the Danube river in Regensburg. With the project finished, the tiny construction office next to the bridge found new life as a food stand serving meat dishes. Today, it still serves customers, making it one of the oldest restaurants in the world.
Customers in the early days were mainly dock workers, sailors, and builders constructing the nearby Regensburg Cathedral, which was built between 1280 and 1520 in the Gothic style.
In 1806, the Schricker family took over and started offering mainly charcoal-grilled sausages and sauerkraut. The family still runs the restaurant and gave it its current name, Wurstküche (“sausage kitchen”), or Wurtskuchl in the local dialect.