Calling all Enthusiastic Adventure Nerds—Atlas Obscura is hiring a Chapter Head to lead the Austin Obscura Society! This job is a part-time, per-event paid position.
Obscura Society Chapters are the real-world outposts of Atlas Obscura, in which we run a regular program of local events and excursions designed to reveal the hidden gems of the region and get enthusiastic locals and our readers off the computer and out exploring. We currently have chapters in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and Seattle and are thrilled to be launching a new chapter in Austin!
- Develop and execute a calendar of events designed to spark our attendees' curiosity and sense of wonder
- Lead a diverse team of field agents and volunteers
- Expand our real-world and digital audience through events, marketing/promotion, social media, and interactions with the press
- Forge lasting partnerships and collaborations with institutions, organizations, and individuals
- Collaborate with other city Chapters and Atlas departments including Editorial, Audience Development, Sales, and Product (including both monthly and ad hoc meetings)
- Manage and present monthly budgets, accounts, financial statements, and set annual Key Performance Indicators
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
- Highly motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Experience organizing and running both large and small scale events (background working with sponsors is a bonus!)
- Excellent writing, editing (text/photo), presentation, and communication skills
- Demonstrated track record of successful community building
- Familiarity and comfort with local media
- Comfortable working remotely
- Experience managing a professional brand on social media
- A passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission and a deep curiosity about the world around them
- Contagious enthusiasm
- A love and knowledge of Austin is required, as is a desire to seek out the unusual, the hidden and the wondrous in your area and to share your discoveries with others!
- Travelers preferred! While we firmly believe that there is something wondrous no matter where you are, we also love people who have experienced the world.
- Museum/academic/historical society experience always a plus!