Chernobyl-2 was a station of the Russian overhorizon radar system Duga-3, better known as Woodpecker.
It was named “woodpecker” due to the sound of its signals, which jammed many shortwave transmissions and sounded like a woodpecker knocking on wood. The signal was sometimes so strong that it could heard in telephone sets thousands of kilometers away from the facility!
The facility was erected between 1970 and 1975 and used as an enormous antenna. It is a huge lattice mega-structure, 150 meters wide, 90 high, and 750 long. To man the radar system, a small secret city was built, in which 1000 people lived.
The site at Chernobyl remained in operation after the Chernobyl disaster, but in 1987 most technical equipment was moved to a site at Komsomolsk na Amure.
Today the mega-structure is still there, just a few kilometers south of the infamous Chernobyl reactor. There are plans to install wind turbines on it.