This collection of thousands of anatomical waxes, pathology and terratology specimens was almost lost to history.
The museum's collection was started by French chemist and father of toxicology Mathieu Orfila in 1835, in an unused part of a convent. 102 years later, by 1937, the museum was broke and was forced to shut down. It sat neglected and rotting for the next 30 years before it was saved by Jacques Delarue in 1967.
While during those years a number of pieces were lost or destroyed, the museum still has an impressive collection of 17th and 18th century specimens. Of particular note are the the brains of aphasic patients, preserved in alcohol, and still used in brain function research.