Looming tall over a small town of the same name, the ruins of Esch-sur-Sûre Castle still manage to give the area the air of a fairytale despite having been abandoned for over a hundred years.
First built around 920, the castle was originally an eight-meter-tall tower atop the tallest hill in the area, which was subsequently surrounded by farm buildings. It was not until later on in the 13th century that the tower was expanded upon, creating a more traditional castle-like structure. This final expansion of the site was carried out by the final couple of Counts of Esch, who gave the town (and its castle), their name.
The village around the castle also grew steadily alongside its proud central tower. With advances in warfare, the town eventually built a wall around the entirety of Esch-sur-Sûre, adding a couple of smaller lookout towers that accented the more ancient one. However by the 1700s, the castle had fallen to the common folk of the village, many of whom moved into the ancient site. Villagers were still known to be living in the castle at least up until the late 1800's.
Today the castle continues to stand proudly above the town of Esch-sur-Sûre, even though it is in ruins. The site is now protected as a historic treasure and is illuminated in the evenings, giving the site a feeling of true fantasy magic.